Thursday, May 14, 2009

Looking Ahead

Looking AheadWell, the flight is booked. Still a few details to be ironed out, but I’ll be back in Las Vegas this summer, again helping PokerNews cover the World Series of Poker. Will be arriving in LV in just a week-and-a-half (no... really?), and once more I’ll be there for the duration, all the way ’til mid-July when the new November Nine is set.

Haven’t really had a lot of time to think about the summer. Don’t anticipate having a lot of time for reflectin’ once I get there, either, as it looks to be another very busy one for those of us who’ll be reporting from the Rio. Am especially looking forward to reuniting with the PokerNews crowd as well as all the other media types with whom I got to work (and play, some) last time. Am hopin’ to make a few other new connections this time around, too.

I have been alluding here and there to my other “life” -- the one characterized by the full-time job about which I don’t write here. About a month back I was writing about how I might be going back to LV this summer for the WSOP, and how the writing thing has started to make me think more and more about possibly making some sort of career move.

Not saying I’m ready to make that leap, nor even that I necessarily see “full-time poker writer” as real option, even if I were ready to choose it.

But it has been an interesting week.

Just about the time I knew for sure I was heading to the WSOP, had a bombshell of sorts happen with the first job, with sudden not-entirely-unexpected-but-still-surprising news of pay cuts and other (significant) scaling back of benefits across the board. No one’s losing his or her job just yet, but that is starting to appear pretty damned inevitable. Maybe not right away, but soon.

I know, I know... it’s happening everywhere. But for a dude who’s already been thinking about making a change, this sort of stuff can be, well... a bit suggestive.

So it’s hard to say what lies ahead, beyond the next couple of months anyway. But hey, let’s have a good summer! I’ll definitely be posting here throughout, so stay tuned.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

What day do you arrive? I'm getting there on the 23rd (early to get settled). Would love to do some catching up before the WSOP begins and hear more about your transition thoughts and possibilities.

5/14/2009 10:52 AM  
Blogger Mike G said...

I say you get wild and play a no limit poker game this time out!

5/14/2009 12:47 PM  
Blogger AgSweep said...

Glad your headed back to the WSOP I enjoyed last years coverage a ton.

5/14/2009 5:42 PM  
Blogger BWoP said...

Can't wait to see you again!

5/14/2009 5:49 PM  
Blogger SluggerWV said...

Have a great time in Vegas

I wish I could go this year

5/14/2009 9:50 PM  
Anonymous Cadmunkey said...

Good luck in Vegas buddy, hope you have an enjoyable trip and I look forward to your usual action packed reports :-)
Cadmunkey

5/15/2009 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.