Tuesday, July 15, 2008

2008 WSOP, Day 46: Whoopee

WhoopeeAm sitting in Gate A of McCarran International Airport, the air filled with indecipherable public address announcements, cell phone conversations, and, of course, the incessant drone of electronic bells and other effects emanating from the rows of slots that fill the center of the space. Oh, and there’s a toddler with a whoopie cushion in the row behind me, firing it off every couple of minutes and giggling “I farted!”

Will be in the air about an hour from now. Had originally intended to stick around LV for another couple of days, as there were still a few other things to do and people to see. But yesterday I was overcome with a sudden realization that it was time for me to go home. So I changed my flight and here I sit, typing and occasionally smiling at the sound of faux flatulence.

Went back over to the Rio last night with James to watch a bit more of the last night’s proceedings. Tiffany Michelle had already busted by the time we got there. We got seats in the ESPN arena and watched a couple of levels’ worth of poker. Saw some interesting hands, and three or four bustouts. Have little or no familiarity with any of the fellas who made the final nine. Or interest, really, for that matter.

I noticed WSOP Commissioner Jeffrey Pollack standing over by media row at one point when it was down to just 12 players left. I saw him studying the crowd and looking up at the big screen overhead. I wondered if he was perhaps reconsidering the whole final table delay. Or maybe wondering just how arduous of a task it is going to be to build any interest beyond hardcore poker fans in these nine who made it.

I said it back in the spring when it was just a rumor, and again at the beginning of May when the rumor become reality. And I’ll say it again now. I think the final table delay stinks. That kid with the whoopie cushion is providing a perfect soundtrack.

Thanks, everybody, for reading along these 46 days. Will be getting back to the usual routine here at Hard-Boiled Poker pretty soon.

Thanks also to everybody at PokerNews and all of the other folks I got to meet and spend time with this summer. (Not naming anybody here, as I’m in a bit of a hurry, but they know who they are.) As I say, I’m more than ready to get back home, but you guys all made my home-away-from-home pretty special, and for that I’ll always be grateful.

Talk to you again soon.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Pauly said...

Well done, Shamus.

My biggest regret is that we didn't have more time to hang out.

Cheers to you, sir.

7/15/2008 4:53 PM  
Blogger WillWonka said...

I think it goes without saying that you've done a great job!!

Thanks for the info and good writing for these past few weeks.

I still agree that the delay is terrible; but it is what it is.

There is a St Louis guy in the Nine that I have actually played a few tournies with at Harrah's so at least I have somebody to root for.

Other than that, ESPN will have its work cut out for them; although I'm sure there will be some interesting stories. I just hope they are positive ones.

Again, Nice Going!!!

7/15/2008 5:12 PM  
Blogger gadzooks64 said...

Thanks Shamus!

As always, so much time yet so little time.

Hope to see you out there again next year.

7/15/2008 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is us that owe you the THANK YOU! It's been fun!

I know the final table delay doesn't seem like a good idea, but we'll have to see how it plays out.

Most wouldn't be able to watch it until November anyways. So, knowing who wins now and waiting till November to watch or waiting until November to know who wins and a couple days to watch it, doesn't really matter to me.

I would have liked a couple "Name" players at the final table, but we'll see if any "up and coming" poker pros can come out of this batch.

Have a safe trip home :-)

7/15/2008 10:38 PM  
Blogger Random Table Draw said...

Was great meeting you sir and great job! Hope the whoopie cushion did not follow you home. PS -- figured out the new Blogger "blog roll" ap for my personal blog and you are on there.

7/16/2008 1:37 AM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

Thanks for all the hard work Shamus! Enjoy the "Back home" smell when you get there. The ruby slippers know the way :-)

7/16/2008 2:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your coverage of the events as well as your "big picture" blog posts in between, sent from the center of all the action. Looking forward to your philosophizing on "what it all means", and we'll see how Harrah's and ESPN does with this delay opportunity.

Good comparison to summer camp... at least you all know you'll promise to write!

7/16/2008 9:58 AM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Big thanks, everybody! It was a blast.

7/16/2008 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.