Friday, June 06, 2008

2008 WSOP, Day 8: Shootout!

No-Limit Hold'em Shootout event starts todayI am presently sitting at my workstation, about twenty minutes before Event No. 11 gets underway. Here is what else is going on at the Rio today . . .

Looks like Tom Schneider made it to 12th last night in Event No. 8, the $10,000 World Championship Mixed Game event. A fine showing, though I’m sure he’d prefer to be at today’s final table. As expected, it’ll be a tough one, with James Mackey, Matt Glantz, Sam Farha, Michael DeMichele, Tom “durrrr” Dwan, Eli Elezra, Anthony Rivera, and Jeff Madsen comprising the final eight. Glantz has a big chip lead heading into today’s play, but I’d be inclined to pick Dwan (currently in third) to take this one.

One other final table today as well, in Event No. 7, the $2,000 No-Limit Hold’em event. Theo Tran has been leading this one pretty much from the beginning, and has a big chip lead heading into tonight’s play. He’ll have to outlast J.C. Tran, Shannon Shorr, and the other six to get there.

Like yesterday, there will be six events altogether being played today. Event No. 9, the $1,500 Six-Handed No-Limit Hold’em event, begins Day 2 with 71 of the original 1,236 entrants still alive. Matt Matros is the chip leader in that one at the moment. And Event No. 10, the $2,500 Omaha/8-Stud/8 event, gets going again this afternoon as well, with 108 remaining from the 388 who entered. Jordan Rich has the chip lead in that one heading into today’s play, but there are a number of big-name pros still alive, including Michael Mizrachi, Steve Zolotow, Todd Brunson, John Cernuto, Howard Lederer, Barbara Enright, Scott Clements, Greg Raymer, and Allen Cunningham, just to name a few.

Two more events get started today, Event No. 11, the $5,000 No-Limit Hold’em Shootout, and Event No. 12, the $1,500 Limit Hold’em event.

As much as I like limit hold’em, I’m glad I drew the shootout to help cover for PokerNews today. As I discovered covering the Mixed Hold’em event, those limit hands aren’t always the most exciting on which to report, even though in our tournament some of the most crucial hands of the event happened during the limit rounds.

Like I said, Event No. 11 gets started in just a little while (at noon), so for the first couple of hours it will be the only tournament in action in the Amazon Room. It’ll be like reporting on a whole series of final tables, really, which should be pretty interesting.

If I understand the structure sheet correctly, we’ll start out with a bunch of full-handed tables where players will start with 10,000 chips and play down to a winner (like a sit-n-go). Then all of those who win their tables will redraw and be sat again at full-handed tables, this time with 100,000 chips (and higher blinds/antes, thankfully). They’ll each play down to one, and they do it again, for Round 3, where the sheet says they will have a million chips each to start.

Not sure how many rounds it will take to complete this tournament, though the sheet seems to indicate there will be only three -- one each day of the event. I am sitting here at our workstation and I see the dealers each have ten stacks of chips in front of them, so I assume they will be going ten-handed. It appears there are thirty or so tables set up for the event, so that would mean 360 players. In fact, I just heard the announcer say they are capping it at 360.

Anyhow, do head over to PokerNews’ live reporting if you want to follow my reports. I’ll be paired with Steve Horton again for this event.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger AlCantHang said...

I seem to recall at least 2 $1,500 shootout events last year but I could be wrong.

Good luck, it should be fun to cover.

6/06/2008 3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shootout should be interesting.

I just saw some of the table match ups for the shoot out and I notice some of my fantasy picks sitting at the same table so that's no good for me...lol.

Plus, my Phil Ivey pick is already knocked out. I hope he doesn't decide to give up on the WSOP and play more cash games because he's had it tough so far this year.

Keep up the great work reporting for us Shamus!

6/06/2008 4:51 PM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Yea, Al, I think it is listed as a "new" event b/c of the $5K buy-in.

Thx, guys!

6/06/2008 7:21 PM  
Blogger SluggerWV said...

I really enjoy your blog. Keep up the great work!

I am registered to play as a blogger in the PocketFives Open. There are added prizes for the poker blogging community.The PocketFives Poker Forum is source of the best online poker rankings in the world.Also, PocketFives boasts a member list that includes the most famous players in online poker, including top poker players such as mr. menlo and PearlJammer. Please check out the forum and the tournament. Both are well worth your time. Thanks

6/07/2008 12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.