Friday, March 28, 2008

Brief Observations Designed To Accommodate Our Fast-Paced Lifestyles

Busy, busy. Too busy. Am in desperate need of physical exercise. I have a membership at the YMCA, and once a month they send me reports on my workouts. I won’t get into specifics, but let’s just say if I manage to get over there one time before March is done, I will eclipse my stats for February within the first minute.

For now, here’s a brief digest of my poker-related thoughts of the moment . . .

Name That Event

The World Series of PokerMentioned last week how I’ll be in Vegas this summer for the 2008 WSOP, which I’ll be helping cover for PokerNews. In the last few days I began looking into possible housing scenarios. We’re still just about two months away (the first event kicks off on Friday, May 30th), but I’m hoping to have all of that sorted out here earlier than later.

Aside from deciding where I’m gonna stay, the other great question hanging over this year’s WSOP has to be whether or not officials will adopt my suggested name for Event 8, the $10,000 buy-in World Championship Mixed Event (begins June 4th). My idea was that this event will be showcasing poker in all of its S.P.L.E.N.D.O.R. as the players rotate through the eight different games: Stud, Pot Limit Omaha, Limit Hold ’em, Stud Eight-or-Better, No Limit Hold ’em, 2-7 Triple Draw, Omaha Eight-or-Better, and Razz. Here’s the full pitch.

Okay, maybe there are other questions of greater importance. But we’ve still got sixty-plus days to get to those.

Shamus Plugs

ApplesauceHad a prospective advertiser bargaining with me this week over a possible text ad. Dude tells me according to his analysis, I had fewer than ten unique hits during a particular 24-hour period. I told him he was full of applesauce. He didn’t respond.

It is possible, of course, he may not understand what exactly applesauce means. In any event, I tend to doubt we’ll be seeing his ad on Hard-Boiled Poker.

Perhaps I, Too, Might Become a Very Important Player

PokerStars Silver StarAm closing in on my Silver Star over at PokerStars. Am sitting at about 1,260 VPPs, meaning I have to grab 240 before month’s end to get my shiny badge. Am a bit ambivalent about the whole thing, frankly -- it seems like all I “win” here will be cheap entries into some April freerolls and the ability to accumulate FPPs at a higher clip (1.5 for each 1). But now that I’m getting close I realize I don’t want to have to start over again on April 1. So I’m putting in hands of LHE 1/2, where one picks up a point about every other hand. (A bit more quickly than at the PLO25 tables.)

Is That My Voice? Sheesh.

The Hard-Boiled Poker Radio ShowFinally, I wanted to mention that a new poker podcast is in the works. If all goes according to plan it will debut on April Fool’s Day. What will it be called . . . ?

The Hard-Boiled Poker Radio Show. No shinola.

Gonna try to do some final editing on the first episode over the weekend. I can tell you right now, this stuff is a lot harder than it sounds. Probably looking at a once-a-month type deal here. We’ll see. Anyhow, will be posting more info about the show -- and (hopefully) a link to the first ep. -- next week.

Have a good weekend. And let’s all try to make it to the gym at least once, okay?

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger cheer_dad said...

A new poker podcast! That's awesome Shamus! Best of luck to you!

Regards,

cheer_dad

3/28/2008 1:38 PM  
Blogger Random Table Draw said...

Woo hoo! Its a go for the show!

3/28/2008 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like all your readers, I will await your radio show with bated breath!
Btw it's "splendour" not splendor..heh heh ;-) Would be cool if they adopted it tho!

3/31/2008 8:11 AM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Haha, yes. "S.P.L.E.N.D.O.R." will be fine for the WSOP this summer, but when they introduce the event for WSOP-Europe, they'll need to add a round of Uno.

3/31/2008 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.