Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Iambic Pentameter Is Not As Easy As It Looks

Poker with the BardAnother long one last-night-slash-this-morning-slash-this-afternoon helping cover PokerStars Spring Championship of Online Poker.

I was on one of the pot-limit five-card draw events, which ended around 4 a.m. or thereabouts. I actually had a few thoughts about covering draw events I wanted to share, but will wait to do that tomorrow when I’ve had a little more rest.

The other, the “High” version of Event No. 8 (No-Limit Hold’em, $1,050 buy-in) wound all of the way down to dinner time today.

Was feeling a little delirious toward the end of the latter one, as evidenced by the tweets I began sending out @hardboiledpoker:
hardboiledpoker: as this #SCOOP event I'm covering has run so long, I'm now contemplating rewriting my report in heroic couplets

hardboiledpoker: His hand crushed, Cod Meharly met his fate; / His leaving meant the field had shrunk to eight. #SCOOP

hardboiledpoker: "I shove!" So quoth TheMasterJ33, / But his rival’s pocket kings was sad to see. #SCOOP

hardboiledpoker: His hope had been an ace would fall from heaven; / Alas, none came, and now we’re down to seven. #SCOOP

hardboiledpoker: Tens felt good to Magnifico18; / Too bad that WatchOutFish had paired his queen.

hardboiledpoker: The turn and river cards each brought a duck -- / Magnifico18 was out of luck.

hardboiledpoker: (am heading down a dangerous road here, I think)

hardboiledpoker: Sixth place is where KJulius10 ends, / Cut down by BrynKenney’s nines full of tens.

hardboiledpoker: ags104 was dealt an ace and ten / ’Gainst BrynKenney’s sevens was he all in.

hardboiledpoker: The sort of hand from Sexton would evince / “Got ourselves a race situation, Vince.”

hardboiledpoker: Losing, ags104 was shown the door, / Which means that #SCOOP 8-high is down to four.

hardboiledpoker: The turn card came, BrynKenney made his bet; / WatchOutFish called, but saw Bryn made a set. #SCOOP

hardboiledpoker: With just three left, a deal was next discussed; / Terms were not reached; we’ll see who next goes bust. #SCOOP

hardboiledpoker: SFitch4 is out! Only two remain! / The end is coming soon! And I’m still sane! #orsoithink #ineedadrink #SCOOP

hardboiledpoker: BrynKenney defeats gabe2323 / Which means you’ll get no more couplets from me #SCOOP
Soon after, my write-up of the event -- ultimately lasting over 21 hours, all told -- went up over on the PokerStars blog. Check that out if you want to see how it all played out, minus the rhymes.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Pauly said...

Brilliant. As per usual.

5/06/2010 1:15 AM  
Blogger Conan776 said...

This is awesome. You've got talent!

5/06/2010 2:59 AM  
Blogger Haley said...

I much preferred the couplets to the "all the money went into the middle" I'm likely to read elsewhere.

I wonder how you'd look with a goatee, though.

5/06/2010 8:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And I thought I went to bed late!

Awesome sir.

5/07/2010 3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.