Friday, February 05, 2010

Post No. 1,000

What to do, what to do...Was looking back over the blog this week -- the whole sucker, I mean, going all of the way back to April 2006 -- and thinking about what would do for some sort of suitably momentous, whiz-bang-type message to deliver here in post no. 1000.

It’s a big, intimidating number. What should I say about it?

I considered various ideas, such as compiling a list of the posts with the most hits, or maybe my own list of favorites. I thought about doing one of those funny “word clouds” using all of the words I’d ever written on Hard-Boiled Poker. I fussed over that for a while, during which time I discovered the total number of words on here was approaching 900,000.

As I’ve said before, that’s a damn lot of scribblin’.

Of course, when you’ve written a thousand friggin’ posts, you’ve said and done a lot of things before. Like that word cloud idea -- I realized I’d done that once before, too. Besides, the word cloud pic looked ridiculous. Just a big ol’ mess of words that didn’t really seem to communicate much that was meaningful.

So I thought about the blog a little more. And what it means. And I thought about how many people I’ve gotten to know because of Hard-Boiled Poker. Really great, smart, funny, interesting people. And how many more with whom I’ve communicated over the years thanks to the blog, whether in comments on each other’s blogs, via email, or in other ways. And of all the nice things people have said to me and about me regarding the last 999 posts. And a lot of other stuff that can’t really be measured or counted or quantified in any tangible way.

And that’s when I had to admit... I was at a loss for words.

I mean, really, there’s no way I get this far along without help. You can’t play poker by yourself. Not really. And while you can write for yourself, the meaning of what you write grows with every reader.

A thousand thanks, everybody, for helping give all these words more meaning.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Grange95 said...

Congrats on the milestone! Hope you have another great 10K posts or so in ya.

2/05/2010 9:55 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Nice one Shamus, have been enjoying Hard-Boiled for many years - hope to continue for many years to come!

Mark

2/05/2010 10:42 AM  
Blogger stephenAmurphy said...

Congrats on the milestone. A thousand posts is damn impressive.

2/05/2010 11:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats! Huge milestone. Your writing and development have come a long way...keep working hard!

2/05/2010 12:02 PM  
Blogger bellatrix78 said...

Congrats on 1k!
I hope that you find the inspiration to continue writing this blog, because it's so damn interesting :)

2/05/2010 12:43 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy Post Anniversary! You inspire me with each and every post, and I look forward to many, many more of them.

2/05/2010 12:50 PM  
Blogger Tim Peters said...

Shamus, that is a lot of words, and every one of them has been worth reading. Congratulations. You've been required reading for anyone who takes the game at all seriously.

--Tim

2/05/2010 1:27 PM  
Blogger BWoP said...

Congratulations! I always look forward to reading your posts, so keep 'em coming :-)

2/05/2010 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Angry_Bert said...

Sahums - Conrgats! Your post reminds me of a De La Soul song which goes something like..."3 it's a magic number...(music)..but what does it all mean?"

Anyway - I've always enjoyed reading HBP, so keep it going! All that writing is making a lot of people happy.

2/05/2010 4:19 PM  
Blogger Fred aka TwoBlackAces said...

Have always enjoyed your posts! Here's to another 1000!

Congrats!

2/07/2010 11:24 AM  
Blogger Littleacornman said...

Congrats on the 1k milestone.Roll on the next 1000...

2/08/2010 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.