Friday, January 22, 2010

Riding the Rush

RUSHSo I did find time to sit down for a relatively brief session of Rush Poker on Full Tilt yesterday. Jumped into the $25 max. buy-in, six-handed pot-limit Omaha game, where I joined about 160-170 others. A little over a half-hour later I’d played 111 hands, at which point the game paused. I noticed players quickly dropping out of the pool, and after a couple of minutes of waiting I decided to skedaddle as well.

I was happy enough to leave, having accumulated a handsome profit during those hands. I managed to double my buy-in (almost) very early on, then added a few more bucks before the pause. So I came away feeling fine, although the whole experience was likely unduly affected by my good mood at having that early success. In fact, I’m sensing a lot of early reactions to Rush Poker are tied pretty closely to whether the player won or lost during that first session or two, which is understandable.

With that in mind, I’m gonna resist offering some long-winded analysis and/or judgment of Rush Poker as of yet. I need to try it again and become more familiar with the ins and outs before presuming to say anything meaningful about it.

I will say one thing, though. Those initial hands, when I first realized how the game worked, evoked for me a feeling I hadn’t experienced for quite some time while playing online poker. I’m talking about that sorta nervous excitement that came with first signing onto a site and playing those initial hands. You remember that? That mix of fascination and edginess you felt when you first realized how online poker worked -- how you could play against others all around the world, any time of day or night? And then, when you won your first hand, and thought, hey, I like this!

Not saying that getting to relive that feeling necessarily means Rush Poker is the cat’s pajamas. But it was pretty cool to “go back” like that, even if only for a few moments.

Joe Namath and the New York Jets win Super Bowl IIISpeaking of “going back,” the New York Jets are playing the Indianapolis Colts this weekend in the AFC Championship game, with the Colts being huge favorites. Spent some time this week listening to “the Fan” -- i.e., the New York sports radio station -- and enjoying all the excitement and hype. And all of the references to Super Bowl III, the Jets’ finest moment, when “Broadway” Joe Namath led them to a stunning 16-7 victory. Over a heavily-favored opponent. The Colts.

As a Carolina Panthers fan, I have no particular allegiance to any of the remaining teams, which means like most unaffiliated folks, I’ll be rooting for the underdog in this one. That decision a few weeks ago by Indianapolis to rest their starters against the Jets and forgo the chance at an undefeated season -- see “The Colts Find a Fold” -- provides another reason to pull for the Jets on Sunday.

What a story that would be, eh? The Colts give a game away to the Jets, saving New York’s season, then find themselves in a nightmarish situation wherein a newly vitalized Jets team gives ’em all sorts of hell just one step from the Super Bowl. Sort of like a chip leader passing on a chance to eliminate a short stack, only to see that player then double up a few times to become a real threat to take it all away.

That Jets defense is obviously going to have to step it up to slow down Manning et al. And New York will absolutely have to run the ball effectively to chew up the clock and keep Indy’s offense off the field. Here’s hoping they keep that momentum going -- first launched just four weeks ago in that game versus Indy -- and make things interesting Sunday.

As far as the NFC Championship between the Minnesota Vikings and New Orleans Saints goes, I’m mainly just looking for a good game there. Really, whoever wins that one will make for an interesting story.

So enjoy the weekend all, whether it be filled with Rush Poker, monitoring the Jets’ rushing attack, or rushing around doing something else.

Like listening to Rush!

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger bellatrix78 said...

I think your assessment is correct. I lost and hated it :) (remind me that I'm very bad at NLHE and I shouldn't pay them off with a normal LHE bluffcatcher).

For the most part, it seemed fake. I take extensive notes / color. I note when opponents are on tilt. I felt so lost not knowing the conclusion of a hand to get a read. meh.

1/22/2010 12:55 PM  
Blogger bastinptc said...

"I will say one thing, though. Those initial hands, when I first realized how the game worked, evoked for me a feeling I hadn’t experienced for quite some time while playing online poker. I’m talking about that sorta nervous excitement that came with first signing onto a site and playing those initial hands. You remember that? That mix of fascination and edginess you felt when you first realized how online poker worked -- how you could play against others all around the world, any time of day or night? And then, when you won your first hand, and thought, hey, I like this!"

You mean the first stage of your brain chemistry changing to poker tweaker. You know, the liquification of your bowels for the "fight or flight," the tingling "down there," wchich is usually associated with another type of arousal.

Why do you think they call it "Rush?"

1/22/2010 2:21 PM  
Blogger Littleacornman said...

I like the " cat’s pajamas". Over here it would be the dogs bollocks!
Enjoying Rush so far.Played 5k hands in just a few days.Even tried 2 tabling! Instant RSI probably.Makes 4 tabling sng turbo's seem slow now though..!

1/22/2010 8:00 PM  
Blogger Sean G said...

My first session, I broke even and was disappointed that everyone plays so tight. I also realized I had to change my game up a bit, since building a table image is now pointless.

The second session, I won two buyins in a 300-hand hour. So I am a little happier with it.

I can't wait until they have 10PLO available... I played a bit of 25 last night, and it was fun, but I am not comfortable at that level yet.

All in all, I think it's an amazing breakthrough that will do wonders for poker, and especially for FTP. When do they go public? :D

1/22/2010 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't stop posting such articles. I love to read stories like this. BTW add more pics :)

1/23/2010 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.