Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Sorry Advertisers

This is what Google thinks Hard-Boiled Poker is all about6Not in such a blogging mood this morning. One reason is I was up late watching the returns and speeches. Was not surprised to see Obama take it, but it was still something to see.

Certainly felt as though he had a significant edge when all the chips went in. Not necessarily a set-over-set kind of edge, but a strong hand that had to fade a flush draw or the like with a couple of cards to come. And Obama’s hand held up.

Having stayed up late, I have a little less fuel in the tank. I also feel a little sapped because I learned yesterday that Google has decided Hard-Boiled Poker is mostly spam, anyway, which I’ve discovered does have a slightly detrimental effect on one’s inspiration. (Just slightly, mind you. I’m not in despair.)

Yesterday I had an instructive chat with one of my advertisers who has decided not to renew, pointing out to me that thanks to a variety of factors Google has demoted my Page Rank in such a way as to make the blog less attractive to advertisers.

The irony? It is the ads themselves that are causing the problem. I have some that violate Google’s “link scheme policy.” Also, apparently I get penalized for linking to other blogs, too. And since I have so many people linking to me, that is also somehow hurting me as well. (Too popular for ads, I am.)

Those of you who aren’t up on all this stuff probably don’t care too much about it, I imagine. Those of you who do have some insight into the whole “monetizing” thing probably recognize how naïve I sound about it all.

The reason for that is, I am.

I never began this blog as a moneymaker, but over the two-and-a-half years of its existence it has managed to earn me a little extra cabbage. So yeah, I’m frustrated that an advertiser is telling me I’m no longer attractive as a client.

Still, as I say, the ads were never the reason for the blog. Nor will they be moving forward.

Google thinks I’m spam, despite the fact that I produce wholly original content here on a regular basis. When 2008 began, I decided to try to write a new post every single weekday, and I have managed to keep that up here into November without missing a single one. (Prior to 2008, my pattern was to post every other day.) I have also written on the weekends, too, occasionally. That’s something near 300 posts this year alone.

Additionally, I never publish posts that are nothing but paid ads, but only very occasionally -- i.e., less than five times -- have included paid links to sites in a post if doing so didn’t interfere with my writing on a subject of my own choosing. (And never with multiple links in a post.)

I’ll look into all this eventually, I suppose. I’m told I can let these ads expire, stop linking to other sites (including blogs) that have low rankings, and take a few other measures. Then I can “resubmit” my site to Google for reconsideration, a process that looks as though it takes weeks to complete.

Maybe I’ll bother with all that crap. Or maybe I won’t. Life is too friggin’ short to be taken up with certain kinds of applesauce.

So, sorry advertisers, for letting you down so.

And thanks, readers, for finding me and coming back. You’re really the only reason why I do this. Keep coming back and I’ll keep writing. I promise.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger cheer_dad said...

Sorry to hear it Shamus, and you're right it does seem very ironic that "...it is the ads themselves that are causing the problem." Despite this hiccup I still believe that you run one of the finest blogs out here on the "intertubes." Besides, don't they know, that SPAM's some good eatin'! : )

I wish you continued success.

Regards,

cheer_dad

11/05/2008 8:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Coming from the birthplace of SPAM, I can relate.

Went from Page Rank 6 to 2 after the Google-bomb about two months ago.

11/05/2008 9:08 AM  
Blogger 2weiX said...

having your blog bookmarked, and not having ever clicked on an ad while enjoying your blog (every day), i say give them the virtual finger and just keep doin' what you doin'.

cause you're pretty damn good at it.

11/05/2008 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shamus,

How frustrating! As a regular reader I find your links to podcasts & other blogs a great resource. I'd hate to see them go.

Like you, I don't know the ins & outs of intertube marketing, but you may want to get up to speed at somepoint so that you continue to grab new readers from the mighty google.

The other opiton, to paraphrase Dr. Seus, is to say "Spam I AM! Say, I love green Eggs & Spam!" Tell google to blow chunks & be who you be.

Good Luck,
Angry_Bert

11/05/2008 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you may have become less attractive to google but rest assured that your loyal readers still love ya :-)

11/05/2008 12:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm enjoying the hell out of reading you and have for the last 6 weeks or so.

Can't tell you how sorry I am that your plans have been dashed. Even though the "extra cabbage" wasn't planned for to begin with, I'm sure it became the source of some comfort, and did have some aspect in planning your writing future.

"It's just money" don't work so well in poker circles, but I hope you realize the sentiment. I also hope you keep writing what you're writing about things not related to poker.

As a hobbyist, poker player and writer, myself, I turn some small change, and wish I had the dedication to write like you do. It's also cool to get an intelligent and witty take on things poker/life.

Can't imagine the spirit of the conversation with the advertiser, but it's some dude with a job to do and he had to cut you. Keep writing what you're writing, and you'll end up with more opportunities as a result. Poker economy will turn around, or some newspaper come calling.

Don't stop writing. If you stop writing here (which would be silly, you have a readership that would read you even if you were writing about cultivating watermelons), at least start something new.

Good luck man, and godspeed.

11/05/2008 7:18 PM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Muchas gracias, everybody!! These comments > cabbage!

I should say the advertiser was actually being very helpful with me -- I appreciated the explanation quite a bit.

Like I said, I'm-a-gonna keep on keepin' on here for sure.

11/05/2008 7:38 PM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Oh, and stay tuned for Hard-Boiled Watermelons.

11/05/2008 7:40 PM  
Blogger BWoP said...

Long Live Shamus!

Your blog is one of my absolute faves :-)

11/06/2008 4:06 AM  
Blogger Random Table Draw said...

Hmmmmm, watermelon. Anyway, feel free to drop my piddly blog if it is effecting your page rank. I don't think the vids hurt you and I'd prefer that stay up.

You do a hell of a job sir. At WSOP FT if you are around.

11/06/2008 3:46 PM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

You'd think it was important to get eyes on the ads. Go figure you needed to be boring to be attractive advertisers.

Keep it up. Your readers still love ya!

11/08/2008 1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.