Friday, May 16, 2008

Anybody ’Round Here Play a Game Called No Limit Hold ’em?

No Limit Hold 'em Played HereHad an interesting afternoon at the online tables today. As has been documented exhaustively on this here blog, pot limit Omaha has been my favored game over the last 12-14 mos. or so, although lately I’ve been putting in a lot of hands of Stud/8 and H.O.R.S.E. as well. Indeed, I’ve basically been playing just about everything but the poker world’s favorite game, Texas Hold ’em.

Have found myself more and more often lately opening up two tables at once to play two different games. Not too hard to handle, really. Was doing so again this afternoon, sitting at one table of PLO25 and at one of H.O.R.S.E. ($0.50/$1.00). Then, after a half-hour or so, something possessed me to open a third table. Guess what game?

No-limit Hold ’em.

No shinola. Actually started sitting at some NLHE tables earlier in the week. Nothing too dramatic, just the piddling $25-max. buy-in tables. And I’ve been buying in short (for ten bucks), as it has been a long time since I’ve played NLHE cash games. In fact, looking back through my records, I’m seeing that the last time was early November -- about six months ago.

Anyhow, the little experiment has started off well. Have gotten lucky a couple of times, but have cleared just over $45 in just 260-plus hands. Am mostly just nut peddling, really, aside from the occasional late-position steal. Can’t really claim to have been very comfortable at all post-flop. However, being conservative preflop (especially when out of position) has minimized the number of difficult decisions I’ve had to make. And I can’t say I’ve encountered too many superstars making life difficult for me, either.

My favorite hand thus far, from just a half-hour ago:



Don’t ask me how to play Big Slick. Am pretty sure that ain’t the way, tho’.

Incidentally, Pabst instacalled my all-in. I was stunned. My push was really just a lark. Figured if he did have something, he might just bite, and if he had nothing, he wouldn’t have called a quarter. What in the world could he beat there . . . ?

Afternoon ended well. Pissed away about $18 at PLO, but made $25 at H.O.R.S.E. and another $25 at NLHE.

May well have to investigate this here wild NLHE party a little further. Can’t see it becoming a full time thing, tho’, as the game -- particularly the non-tourney variety -- just doesn’t keep my attention very well.

Have a good weekend, everybody! Drinks are on me.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Ingoal said...

Nice overbet for value on the river there :-)

5/16/2008 6:29 PM  
Blogger gadzooks64 said...

I luvs me the ole value shove.

NH, GG!

5/16/2008 7:55 PM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

Welcome back to NLHE.

5/16/2008 9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the value shove mate, I've been incorporating it in my game recently and it's amazing on how many times you actually get called. It's as if they think "he wouldn't shove here with a boat so it must be a bluff" and call you!

On a tangent, which PLO books or articles do you suggest? I really want to get into this crazy game but I don't want to donate my recent winnings to anyone who has half an idea how to play!

5/17/2008 7:34 AM  
Blogger SluggerWV said...

A great site Very well done!

5/17/2008 3:35 PM  
Blogger SluggerWV said...

A great site Very well done!

5/17/2008 3:35 PM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Thanks, all.

Pud -- Berman's chapter on PLO in Super/System 2 isn't a bad starter, actually. Some don't like it, but it's a decent intro to playing tight & getting a feel for things. Beyond that, I like Ciaffone's book, Omaha Poker and Jeff Hwang's Pot-Limit Omaha Poker.

Mark (of "Plan3t Gong") has a neat PLO site as well, called OmahaPlanet, where he's compiled a bunch of his PLO posts.

5/17/2008 4:38 PM  
Blogger AllanDuke said...

Only an online player would have called your shove with AK. nh

5/18/2008 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.