Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Talkin’ Podcasts

Shamus with headphonesA few items of interest on the poker podcast front here of late.

For one, the Hold ’em Radio website appears to be back online. I sent head pirate Wade Andrews a note telling him I was glad to see the site had returned, and he wrote back to say that since they’d come back he had had to increase their stream bandwidth to accommodate all of the folks listening in. The podcast section remains a bit disordered (and not updated), but I’m hoping things settle down over there soon.

Of course, a few of the better Hold ’em Radio shows have emigrated over to Rounder’s Radio, including Keep Flopping Aces (with Lou Krieger) and Poker Psychology (with Dr. Alan Schoonmaker). There are a couple of episodes of KFA available for download over at the Rounder’s site. I believe Schoonmaker is on a brief hiatus and plans to return with his show in the spring.

There’s also a new World Series of Poker podcast which appears essentially to be a revival of the old Bluff Radio show with Nick Geber. The show is broadcast live every Monday night and syndicated on a number of over-the-air stations by the Sports Byline Broadcast Network. I’ve only heard the debut show (featuring yet another Hellmuth interview -- yawn), as it is the only one that has been made available for download.

I suppose there are some folks out there -- perhaps the ones who play online poker 40-plus hours a week -- who can listen to these live networks and shows, but I almost never dial up these things live. Thus, if I can’t hear the show as an .mp3 download, I’m probably not going to. (Those dates listed next to the shows on the right-hand column refer to the latest downloadable show, not necessarily the latest show.)

I know creating the .mp3 files and putting them in the RSS stream takes a bit of time and effort, but I’d think all of these folks would be getting a lot more attention & listeners if they made their shows available more quickly and more regularly.

The other bit of poker podcast news from the last week is that Bart Hanson will no longer be co-hosting PokerRoad Radio (with Joe Sebok and Gavin Smith). Ali Nejad (Poker After Dark, NBC Heads-Up Poker Championship, ESPN WSOP PPV) will be assuming the seat formerly occupied by Hanson, Joe Stapleton, and Scott Huff. Hanson did fine, as far as I was concerned, although I preferred the humor and perspective of Stapleton and Huff. Having an amateur on there asking questions and responding to the two pros always made the shows more enjoyable -- for this amateur, anyway. We’ll see how Nejad works out.

(Meanwhile, it appears as though CardPlayer has made “CP Audio” a low, low priority.)

Finally, I’m hearing from Karridy the Beyond the Table guys have shaken off their podcrastination and a new episode is a-comin’ soon. (You read that right. A new coinage for ya.)

To tide you over, go click on the jukebox to hear where the BTT guys get all their bright ideas.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger WillWonka said...

I also like Bart.. we'll see how it goes.

I'm kind of really getting tired of Big Poker Sundays and "Bob". He must be the coolest guy on the planet... if you don't believe it just ask him.

2/12/2008 10:16 AM  
Blogger Random Table Draw said...

Bart will have his own "Cash Game Corner" bit on the site. Its a shame it didn't work out, Bart is a class act.

Also, the guys over at lifesabluff.com will be giving out TOm Schneider's "Ooops...I won too much money!" book along with other freebies. Hopefully that will pop up soon on their podcast.

What do you think of the new 2+2 version of Rounders the Poker Show?

2/12/2008 1:44 PM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

I like the 2+2 show, although I have to admit while listening to last week's ep. w/Shaun Deeb I began to think the show might be edging over into a Pocket Fives-type show with a narrower focus (on internet whiz kids).

That stuff is interesting occasionally, but I'm generally going to prefer a less inclusive-sounding show (such as Rounders always was).

2/12/2008 2:29 PM  
Blogger Random Table Draw said...

Yeah, its kind of become a "itza the 2+2 show" but you have to make your sponsors happy right? Guess that means I can be happy and poor without a sponsor huh? I just don't want to here Mason or any of the 2+2 founders on again...such...slow...horrid...radio.

2/12/2008 2:40 PM  
Blogger karbyn said...

I submitted a definition to urbandictionary.com on your behalf for 'podcrastination' :-)

Give it a couple of days...

2/12/2008 11:15 PM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Lol, karbyn. Awesome.

2/13/2008 8:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm partial to Ante Up!, which had PPA Chairman Alfonse D'Amato on this week!!! blogs.tampabay.com/poker

2/13/2008 3:34 PM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

That Cosenza guy from the St. Pete Times is right, I'm partial to Ante up! as well.

I've been out of the podcast circuit for a couple weeks while I transition to a new job. I should be getting caught up fast though. Lots of headphone time in my future!

2/13/2008 11:30 PM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Haha, agreed re: Ante Up! Of course, with all them awards they're gettin' (e.g., the Bluff Magazine best poker podcast of the year), they probably don't need the extra pub at the moment. :)

2/14/2008 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.