Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Uncorrected Personality Traits That Seem Whimsical in a Child May Prove to Be Ugly in a Fully Grown Adult

Cheater, the ultimate card gameA few excerpts from the PokerRoad Radio interview (1/14/08) of Josh “JJProdigy” Field at the Aussie Millions:

PokerRoad Radio: Is this the first of the live tournaments you’ve done?
JJProdigy: Yeah. I turned eighteen on the 2nd.

PRR: The difference between you and some other high-profile multi-accounters . . . is that . . . you were caught multi-accounting and then you continued to multi-account knowing it’s against the rules. What is your response?
JJ: Right, well, I did. I mean I’m guilty of that. I don’t know what else to say.

PRR: Do you even care?
JJ: I care what my friends think about me. But when people bash me who don’t even know me, that doesn’t faze me that much.

PRR: Say you entered 6 or 7 different accounts [into the same MTT]. Were you sometimes taking slightly negative EV plays because you knew that your tournament life really wasn’t on the line . . . ?
JJ: Yeah. I think I started playing worse when I . . . like the longer it got, because you realize if you get out of one then you still have more to play with. So I would take marginal spots where I normally wouldn’t take them.

PRR: The set-up that you had . . . [you had] about six different wireless cards so you could get different IP addresses, so that [the multi-accounting] was undetectable. Now, you were 16 and 17 at the time . . . . Did your parents have any involvement in any of your activities, and what did they think of the situation? Did they understand the full ramifications of . . . what you’ve been doing over the last couple two years?
JJ: No, my parents have been always . . . like [they had a] “don’t ask” kind of mindset. Like they never really . . . like even when I was playing poker underage and making all the money, they just tried to ignore it.

PRR: Are you remorseful because maybe you felt like what you did was wrong, or are you remorseful because you got caught?
JJ: Well, I think first I got caught. I mean, it had to take them to catch me for me to realize that I was wrong and what I was doing was wrong.

PRR: So you are telling the world right now that . . . you right now are not playing on the sites that you’re banned from and you have no plans to play on the sites that you are banned from?
JJ: At this moment in time, yeah. I can’t tell you in a month I’ll be thinking the same, because it’ll be really hard not playing all those sites. But right now, yeah.

(Post title from “Uncorrected Personality Traits” by Robyn Hitchcock from his 1984 album I Often Dream of Trains.)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Poker blog post title of the year award wrapped up nicely... and in Mid-jan too! Very appropriate too.

Cheers, Mark

1/15/2008 7:13 PM  
Blogger Amatay said...

AHAHAHA, cheers for the shout oot!

1/15/2008 7:28 PM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

Like you know, my friends don't like really care, so like since my parents didn't really like care or anything its just kinda bad I got caught. You know?

We have laws to protect us from ourselves, we need license for almost everything and yet any two morons can breed and raise a child. Ugg.

1/16/2008 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like PokerRoad Radio, but they were WAY too easy on that guy. And--like so many of these young guns--he's so inarticulate, so utterly incapable of uttering a single thing worth saying--that it was a waste of good pod-waves.

I believe the Greek philosopher said "the unexamined life is not worth living." In the case of JJ Prodigy, the life not worth living is not worth examining.

1/16/2008 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a little credit to Robyn Hitchcock for the title. Cheating a bit perhaps?

2/14/2009 5:45 AM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

I did credit Hitchcock! Did you read to the end?

2/14/2009 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.