Thursday, November 22, 2007

TYVM

Here's hoping yr Thanksgiving is acesEvery now and then when I’m feeling a bit ornery at the online tables I’ll stoop to offer the odd comment in the chatbox. Take it a general rule to avoid such applesauce, but sometimes I’ll permit myself a pithy observation on the proceedings. Even though I know better.

For example, say I’m in a PLO hand and flop top set on a board with a couple of hearts and no obvious straight draws -- a board of K72 or something. I bet pot and get the one caller. Turn is a non-heart ten and my buddy again calls my pot-sized bet. The river brings the crummy heart, I check, and the chaser quickly bets pot.

“Congrats,” I type. Then fold.

If a bluff, my praise is genuine. Usually, though, this ain’t a bluff, in which case I suppose the “congrats” is meant to have a sardonic edge, with special emphasis on the last syllable. RAAAAATSSSSS . . . .

What’s interesting is that once in a while I’ll get a “ty” in response. The first couple of times that happened, I unthinkingly decided that “ty” confirmed my impression of the player as less than savvy, someone incapable of appreciating either pot odds or derisive irony.

Then I began to wonder. If it were a bluff, the reply would have been as genuine as the compliment, yes? Finally I began to consider whether my opponent’s gratitude might also be sarcastic, the polite equivalent of a smarmy “lol” fired back at the petulant loser . . . ?

That’s when I decided it doesn’t matter what the “ty” means. A fun little metagame, I guess, indicating something or other about our at-the-table negotiations.

In any event, I thought today would be a good day to say “ty” to all of you for coming around here to Hard-Boiled Poker.

I once took a shot several months back to describe this here poker bloggin’ world. I called it “a complicated, overlapping set of communities where (one might argue) we all eventually get around to hearing from each other.” And I concluded that “for the most part, it seems to me to be inhabited by a lot of pretty cool, smart, & funny folks.”

Still feel the same. It’s been a hell of a year -- a blast, really -- getting to play along with all of youse. Thanks for keeping them blogs and forums and podcasts a-rollin’ on. And thanks very much for all the great feedback you’ve given me.

And I mean it.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger GWC said...

Your blog is still my firm favourite. I may not comment very much on here, but I'm always reading... your blog has a high IQ ;-)
I still have to thank you for introducing me to the "Ante Up" podcast. I've finally caught up from episode 1, to the current ep.127. Great stuff ;-)
Here's to another years worth of Hard Boiled Poker.
Cheers Bud.

11/22/2007 11:22 AM  
Blogger Wombol said...

hey shamus,

thanks for the comment, yep healthwise all ok but looks like the chemo also killed the poker in me! I've told my oncologist about this unjust side effect but to my knowledge it won't be added to any literature on the drugs I was fed! to some knowing this may be more important than other such side effects like my current numb toes!! perfect for ambling around chair/bed legs etc as i can't feel any damage i sustain however when running i have the tendancy to wobble violently before falling due to lack of any signifacant front foot feeling!

oh lifes little suprises!

11/22/2007 11:37 AM  
Blogger Swifty said...

I second cadmunkey's comments.

Always quality :)

11/22/2007 3:40 PM  
Blogger Littleacornman said...

Yep I'll third that! vwp as always Shamus.

11/22/2007 5:18 PM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

Thank you for a job well done! I look forward to reading your posts and can't wait to see what the next year will bring.

See ya on the felt!

11/22/2007 5:59 PM  
Blogger seymour:cards said...

hey shamus,

love your blog, along with wombols ramblings to me i have been reading for a while now and have finally taken the plunge to end my spaectatoring! and get in the game.

my blog is very new but would love a link up if you wouldn't mind.

check me out

http://seymourcards.blogspot.com

cheers

11/23/2007 1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.